Posted by Adrien de Croy (Import) on 29 February 2008 03:39 PM
- VPN Node: A computer that has WinGate / WinGate VPN Only installed.
- VPN Host: The side of the VPN that acts as the server.
- VPN Joiner: The side of the VPN that acts as the client.
- VPN Participants: Computers behind the Host or Joiner that need to participate in the VPN
- To create a VPN with WinGate you will need to have a minimum of two licenses.
- WinGate VPN is proprietary and will not connect to any other VPN solutions.
- Trial licenses are available for WinGate VPN
Purchased WinGate VPN Only licenses will have a particular size and are perpetual hence they will not expire. WinGate VPN licenses are available in two types and one of them is bundled into a full version WinGate Enterprise license type:
- Single user license:
A single user license is for mobile users who merely want to connect to the office or another WinGate VPN as required. The single user license allows for the installation of the WinGate VPN software and for use on that machine only – so it does not facilitate any extra VPN Participants on their side of the VPN.
- Gateway license:
The Gateway license is used where the VPN Joiner node or VPN Host Node has machines on its own LAN who wish to participate in the VPN. The Gateway license is available in various user quantities to cater for those machines who will be participating in the VPN.
- WinGate Enterprise license.
The WinGate Enterprise license is for the full version of WinGate. The Enterprise license includes the VPN Gateway license. So if you purchased an Enterprise license that allowed for six concurrent connections, then that will also facilitate as a Gateway license for a 6 user lan.
Scenario: All computers are connected to WinGate VPN.
Laptop 1 on internet - Single user license.
Laptop 2 on internet - Single user license.
Laptop 3 on internet – Single user license.
Laptop 4 on internet – Single user license.
Laptop 5 on internet – Single user license.
Laptop 6 on internet - Single user license.
Laptop 7 on internet - Single user license.
Laptop 8 on internet – Single user license.
VPN Joiner in England:
10 potential computers to be Participants – VPN Gateway license for 3 user LAN.
VPN Joiner in Canada:
25 potential computers to be Participants - VPN Gateway license for 6 user LAN.
VPN Host in Australia:
15 potential computer to be Participants - VPN Gateway license for 3 user LAN.
Separate connectivity examples.
1. Laptops 1-8 and the VPN Joiners including all potential VPN Participants can all connect into the same 3 computers at the VPN Host in Australia at the same time.
2. Laptop 2-8 and the VPN Joiners, VPN Hosts and all potential VPN Participants can all connect to Laptop 1 at the same time.
3. Laptop 1-8 and VPN Joiner in England and VPN Host in Australia and respective potential VPN Participants can all connect into the same 6 computers in Canada at the same time.
4. Laptop 1 can be connected to Laptop 2-8 at the same time.
*The VPN Licenses dictate how many computers can be concurrently accessed into your side of the VPN.
- All WinGate installations have VPN Capabilities – it is controlled by licensing.
- All WinGate VPN Only installations have VPN Capabilities – it is controlled by licensing.
- WinGate VPN Only is generally used by customers who do not need the full internet gateway management features that the full version of WinGate provides.